Hello Spring! We are ready to start the Spring with some exciting learning. Let’s get started!
Literacy (reading and writing)
Year One will be covering ‘Stories from other cultures’ and will be learning to:
- Read a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts
- Retell familiar stories
- Write in different forms such as stories and information texts.
- Use joining words in sentences to add more information.
- Compare and contrast settings from different cultures.
- Write new stories following familiar patterns.
Year One will be learning to:
- Counting in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s.
- Continue adding and subtracting numbers.
- Adding and taking away groups of 10..
- Begin to read an analogue clock to the hour and half past the hour.
- To find a half and a quarter of numbers using the sharing method.
Further curriculum subjects & Topic
Science- Year One will be learning to:
- Distinguish between an object and what it is made out of.
- Identify and name a variety of everyday materials
- Describe the simple properties of materials
- Compare and group together a variety of different objects based on their materials.
Geography Katie Morag - Year One will be learning to:
- Use maps to identify different locations
- Name and locate the four countries of the UK
- Describe the location of features and routes on a map using: locational and directional language [for example, near and far; left and right],
ICT- Year One will be learning to:
- To create simple coding for moving objects
- Use Bee-bots and start creating their own code
- We change reading books daily- if you read with your child, please remember to sign their reading diary. Books will not be changed if diaries aren’t signed.
- P.E. is on Monday’s and Thursdays- children must come to school wearing pe kits on these days
- Spelling test every Monday morning
- Homework goes out on Fridays and has to be done by the following Thursday
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR CHILD'S NAME HAS BEEN WRITTEN IN EACH ITEM OF THEIR SCHOOL UNIFORM AND PE KIT.